Thursday, July 31, 2008

Random Thoughts

First off, I want to address the lack of daily outfit posts. I've quite loved my outfits so far this week, but I've not really been inspired to take any photos. I'm guessing it is because I haven't been sleeping very well this week or exercising so I'm feeling very blah, not in a photogenic mood. I've debated recreating each of the outfits and taking photos of each all in one session. We'll see...

-----

I've recently re-discovered ebay. It's not that I've ever really forgotten it was there, I've just not felt the urge to search and discover treasures on there. Sure I visit various vintage clothing stores on there, but I have placed a bid on there in years.

Randomly perusing the site last week, I came across a really cute colorblock dress. I quite liked it, placed a bid and won it at a very reasonable price.
I knew when bidding that it would probably be a touch too big for me, but I couldn't resist. However, it never occurred to me that it would be too long for me. The dress, as seen in the picture the seller took, goes a few inches below my knees. I didn't love that.

I've been wanting to get into sewing, doing my own alterations and making my own clothes for quite some time. I've been looking into purchasing a sewing machine as well. I very nearly impulsively purchased one last night at Target. My problem is I'm not sure what sorts of features I should be looking for when I purchase one. I'll have to keep researching I guess. For now, if I want to wear this dress, some serious alterations need to take place. The Clothes Horse has inspired me to go ahead and do it.

Last night, I took a seam ripper to the seam at the waist line and deconstructed the dress. I cut off several inches and begun reshaping it. I ran out of time to put it back together however so it's lying in pieces on my floor. As soon as I have time, I'm going to borrow Traci's sewing machine and put it back together.

If you have any tips for gathering the fabric to attach it to an elastic band, let me know. That is the only part of this project I can't visualize in my head and that worries me.

Wish me luck!

-----

Last night when I was at Target, I also purchased a Kimono Dress from the GO International line.


I fell in love with the detailed pleats on the shoulder. I didn't love the way my body lost any semblance of a womanly shape in it though. I know I could accessorize it with some sort of belt or something at the waist. I bought it because I have one belt that may work, but I want more options. How would you accentuate this dress with accessories. Do tell.

-----


That's all for now. Sorry it was so long!

15 comments:

Marrdy said...

The new dress is cute and I do think you might be able to get away with wearing it at work. I still love the blue one with the stripes. It's so, so cute.

WheresMyAngels said...

I would be afraid to add a belt to the last dress as that will raise it up further and show your um ...well you know what I mean!! lol

But, yet at the same time, It does need something. Clueless here.

Ashleigh said...

that is a great dress you found on eBay...beware,,,its addictive

Unknown said...

Lots of long, chunky strands of pearls would make it very Audrey. In general, lots of long, layered necklaces would look great with it and keep it simple in the back where the interesting pleating is. Scarves, in general, would probably look great, too. The dress is basically an excuse to show off lots and lots of jewelry.

And the other one is so cute! I love it. If you don't get some good advice from someone who knows what she's talking about, I would just try basting it on and seeing how it goes. You'll be able to visualize what to do better. And maybe you can use the extra fabric to make a belt for it when you want that look for it.

FASHION CHALET said...

Thank you ^_^
Great dress, really pretty.

WheresMyAngels said...

Whew, glad to hear your short
!! lol I'm tall and I can tell you, that would be up too high on me! lol

Ida said...

The dress is a real beauty. I don't sew but I can totally see why you would. Good luck, and please show us the results!

And I get it with the daily outfits. I have never been able to do that, either, I mean on a real daily basis. Too much of a fuss/stress, etc.

Hope you're doing well
xx

Nicola said...

great find on ebay, hope it goes ok, and i am sure it will look fab when you are finished!! :)

Caroline said...

That little blue e-bay dress is too too cute! Love it! I'd love to see some of your outfits from this past week. I feel you on the being tired and not having exercised. Thanks for stopping by my blog on my big SITS day Tuesday!

osman said...

Interesting that you not only think but also you think in colors.

Mimi said...

Cute sailor dress.
Thanks for the comment :)

Jillian Hobbs said...

I LOVE that sailor dress seriously and it even looks non-sailor enough to wear otherwise... very preppy but i love it!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I'm excited to see how your dress will turn out.
I usually feel more photogenic after I take my pictures than before...I guess I know how to work my angles! ^_-

Insane Mama said...

no advice on the gathering part, I love your obsession with your outfits.

JLWright said...

Hey Adiel! I love the dresses! :) As for the sailor's dress, you could easily take some off the bottom and switch some of that material out to use as a belt.. maybe bring some of the stripes and bright colors to the middle part of the dress? Also, the black dress is to die for. I would say that the pleats are enough "dazzle"... maybe use some long strands or layers of pearls or long stranded necklaces in general would look amazing with pumps. Or... you could use a red or even white thick belt below the bust line (not in the middle.. it might pull) and then wear red or white pumps to match! :) Just an idea.. love you!